Friday, August 15, 2008

What a Day!

Cam's brother and his wife are visiting for a few days, so naturally we've been having a blast! Yesterday, we went to Hopi Falls and dinner at Kintaros (SOOO Yummy!). No pictures to share because I took the video camera instead...

Today, was a very fun-packed day on the North Shore of Kauai. We left this morning for Queen's Bath. (note: When I was in Young Women (about 14/15 ish), I used to go here all the time with my close friends each summer. I haven't been here in YEARS! Naturally, I had a lot of catching up to do...)  I have been here 3 times in the last 5 weeks! You can only go in the Summer when the conditions are good because it can be extremely dangerous if the conditions are rough... like, people die there (because they go in the winter when the north shore has mad swells and don't use good judgement)... so PLEASE do not go here in the winter. (That's my disclaimer.) Also, it takes a bit of effort to enjoy such an amazing spot on this earth! But each time the little hike (out) has  gotten a bit easier. This time, I actually brought my own camera... and took a few pictures, no less. This is one of my favorite spot on the island! And IF you go on  a perfect day, it will look a little like this:

IMG_0072

and you'll probably see one or two (or 10!) of these:

IMG_0063-1

(pictures courtesy of Jody)

Yes, In the morning, when, again, the conditions are right, you will see honu in abundance! And it's pure heaven! They come here because it's so protected by the lava rocks (no sandy beaches here!) and it's relatively people-free, to feed on the seaweed and whatever they eat! Being here just confirms to my soul that Green Sea Turtles are my 2nd favorite animal in the whole wide world (#1 being the Cheetah).

These "prefect condition" pictures were taken from the last time we went 2 weeks ago. While today did not particularly qualify as "perfect", because it was overcast, we still had fun. Kelii and Lani were able to experience something they never before have on Kauai, and I'm glad to have been a part of that! And yes, we saw a bunch of Honu!

IMG_6887

A Waterfall we pass on the hike down (courtesy of some passer-byer). Its actually a really high waterfall but we make it look small at this angle.

IMG_6889

 

 

 

 

I guess that still doesn't do it justice. You have to go DOWN to get to it, we're up on a ledge... anyway! It's beautiful and refreshing! You'll have to see it for yourself...:)

 

IMG_6893

A Happy Nephew. He didn't sweat a lick. Makoa is a blessed child to have so many fun uncles who love him to pieces! I am equally as blessed to have great men in our lives who love to take care of Makoa as much as I can use the help!

IMG_6898 

IMG_6901

IMG_6902-1 

Auntie Lani showed Makoa a spiny Sea Urchin that Uncle Kelii found. Makoa loves creatures. He loves to poke and prod them. He especially liked the Opihi... and while others were eating them, he was content to stick his finger in it's mushy little bodies. This poor guy met his end in Makoa (again, thanks Jody for the pic from last time!).

IMG_0062-1

More Sea Creatures... (Pipipi. Pipihi? Someone? Anyone?)

IMG_6924

IMG_6925-1

Who needs toys? Man. I'm going to miss Kauai! (Yes, Kris, I am Crazy for even thinking about leaving!)

And onto the best part...

IMG_6912-1

IMG_6913-1

IMG_6915-1

IMG_6919-2

IMG_6922-1

IMG_6935-1

IMG_6945-1-2

IMG_6944-1

I dare you to try to tell me that being this close to sea turtles is not one of THE COOLEST things in the world. You can live on Kauai for 20+ years... and this is still something you "don't see every day"! So amazing!

By the way, Keli'i is collecting Opihi. And was quite successful if you ask me! I don't care for it, but Cameron, Lani and Keli'i sure enjoyed themselves! Here's Opihi Man, Keli'i:

IMG_6931-1

IMG_6928

So that was adventure #1 of the day. Yah, I know. But the only adventure I got pictures of.

Adventure #2 was jumping of Hanalei Pier. Yes, I did and it was fun!

Adventure #3 was snorkeling at Tunnels Beach. No, I did not. I was on baby duty and totally exhausted!

Maybe I'll load some video... but It's almost 1am. For crying out loud (please, not literally!) I need to go to BED!

5 comments:

liko said...

i think it is pipipi. the one and only time, so far, that i have made it to kauai, i got directions for queen's bath, but couldn't quite find it. maybe next time...

Carli said...

SO BEAUTIFUL! You have no idea how badly I want to be there. Seeing those pictures just made my heart ache because I would give anything to be there right this second! You are too lucky!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, you're so lucky! Absorb as much as you can of your time in Hawaii...can't find that here in Utah! ;-)

Calley said...

Okay, many things...
1. Congratulations on moving back to Utah! Its a good thing, right? :)
(as long as you don't think about leaving Hawaii in the process)
2. You are a crazy blogging woman! I wish I was as dedicated as you, I look at some of your posts and gasp "1:30 am? Is she on crack?!" but of course I'm just glad you blogged because it means fine reading material for me :)
3. What are you going to Seattle/the AFB for?? What a random trip! Are you in Seattle for a while? I will try to think of some fun things for you :)

sheila said...

oh, I love Queens Bath! That was my favorite thing we did when we went there to visit. Great pictures! Where are you moving to in Utah?