Don't mind me while I think out loud.
Yesterday was our last Sunday at Kapaa 2nd Ward. It was also our
Primary presentation. Cameron & I are the CTR5 teachers, and we really love our class! We have very special kids who make us laugh and bring something unique to our lessons. I'm going to miss seeing them each Sunday!
Yesterday, it also hit me that we really are moving. I'm sad to leave
Kauai. Kauai is my home. The people here are my family. I've been so blessed to know and have so many wonderful women and men as my "calabash" Aunties, Uncles and Cousins! And it has been so special to see the love they have for my boys! "We are Ohana. Oh yes, That's us!"
The past weekend has been very fulfilling for me. With the General Relief Society Meeting, and a wonderful Sacrament Meeting and Relief Society Lesson... life is good. I feel at peace and amazingly, I am not stressed out about this move. However, I feel like my "to do" list keeps getting longer, no matter how much I accomplish. Perhaps I just take on too much, but I have also been in some sort of denial that my life will be drastically changed very, very soon.
Soon we will have no home (hopefully only temporarily). Soon I wont hear the sqabbling between my siblings, or my sisters "big mouth".
These are things I will, undoubtedly, miss. Soon we will be house-hunting. Soon it will be very very VERY cold. Soon, I will be around family and friends that I have dearly missed for the past year. Soon I will be meeting new people, in a new ward, in a new area. Soon, I will have to find new furniture and whatnot for our new "home". Soon I will have my own space to breathe and make mine (ours).
Soon, things will be very different. Again.
I went to breakfast with a dear friend this morning, and on the short drive I noticed the perfectly clear, blue sky. The East-side ocean was beautifully flat and colorful! Blues, Greens... hhmmmmmm.... Gorgeous. Absolutely Gorgeous. If I could take pictures with my mind - oh, the master pieces I would savor! What a work of art Kauai is! *Sigh*. I hope we will be back soon.
I feel like I have connected with women I had not known before we moved her a year ago. What inspirational women my life is filled
with - all over the world! I really feel so blessed to know you.
The "end" of this chapter is drawing ever nearer. Of course, we are not "ready to go" in the sense that misc boxes are yet to be sealed, stamped and mailed. The last load of laundry needs to be done. The car needs to be dropped off. Boxes that now belong in my parents' attic have yet to be "finalized". Good-byes are not completed (nor will they ever be). But all-in-
all, Kauai has been a fabulous chapter in our lives. I hope we will be back someday. But I am not holding my breath. This has honestly been a once-in-a-lifetime-experience. Perhaps, one day, I will share the many things we have learned, (on so many levels,) while being here. But that will have to wait. I do not think we have fully realized all the ways we have been blessed this past year.
Yes, we are really moving to Utah. Tomorrow, in fact. While many anticipated adventures lay in wait for us there - I am reluctant to end this chapter. I want to savor all I can in it's last few paragraphs until I board a plane that will take me to a much, much bigger island.
And start the next chapter.
(Thank You, Auntie Stella for the pictures! You're the best!)
9 comments:
Good luck to you and your family. May your move bring your family the happiness it is searching for. Much love and Aloha...the Perreiras.
I am sad for you that you have to leave :) Good luck with the move to Utah...can't wait to hear how it goes.
(enjoyed the primary pic too, i miss our home ward).
That is sad that you are leaving hawaii, but also fun that you will have your own place and be by old friends...like me! Good Luck!
Awe... so eloquent. I love your blog... I always find myself laughing or nodding my head in empathy or agreement. I think we are so much more alike than we think. I hope you guys have a safe trip! We can't wait to see you... we are glad we took our Hawaii/Kauai trip when we did! God-Speed! Hope you "land" safetly where ever that is. :)
Good luck on the move. Hopefully we will see more of each other, as we will be much closer. Trips to Vegas should be in your near future! :)
Hi Alicia, this is Adam Wickern's wife Alisha. I saw your blog on Brad and Emily's list and thought I would see how cute your family is. I have heard nothing but great things about you and your family and I thought I would say hi. You have adorable boys!! I know Adam wishes he could still be living in Hawaii but Idaho will have to do for a bit :) I know Adam is an Island boy at heart and he had such great experiences while he was there. Thanks for being such a great friend to him! If you want to see our blog it is www.adamandleeshawickern.blogspot.com.
ok.... so there are people on here with well wished and everything else... which I totally hope the best for you guys.... but I just wanted to say there are lots of houses available in our neighborhood (we have the most FABULOUS WARD!)!!!
Seriously though... I hope your move is going well. I know how hard that can be!
If you're looking to buy, there are LOTS of homes for sale in our neighborhood! And, I bet you could get a STEAL too! If you're looking to rent, I know another house in our neighborhood...but it doesn't become available until January. You KNOW you want to come back!!! :)
I am so behind on my blog reading and should actually be in bed now instead of playing catch up. I hope the move has gone well thus far. I really enjoyed your thoughts on Kauai (Oahu for me). You put into words so many of the thoughts and feelings I had when we left (and every time I leave). I miss it. It's funny because I even miss the things that drove me crazy. Love you bunches and hope all is well. I look forward to maybe seeing you in the not too distant future.
Post a Comment