Friday, September 5, 2008

Why I am the Way I am.

If I could be like Alma, and bring the truth into the lives of thousands of people - how fulfilled my life would be! Reading in Mosiah 18 this morning, I had a thought that I do not share my beliefs enough. People know I am "mormon", sure. But I am sad to realize that even my closest friends do not know what being "mormon" is all about! How my happiness is directly affected by following my Savior. Why, for some reason, there is something different about me, something that cannot be "pin-pointed".

Here, I will explain to my dear, wonderful friends why I am, the way I am.

I find peace in this life, amidst temptations, death, disappointment and pain because I know who I am. I am literally a daughter of a loving Father in Heaven. I know where I came from. Before I was born, I lived in Heaven as a spirit daughter of God. I know what will happen to me and my family after we die. Immediately after we die, we live in the spirit world where we learn more about our Savior, Jesus Christ, and the plan laid out for us long before the world was created! Then, we (each and every person who ever died, regardless of their beliefs) will be resurrected (your spirit and perfected body with be reunited). After I am resurrected, I will stand before my God and King and account for my life here on Earth!  I will be judged according to the knowledge I have received, and the choices I made with that knowledge.

I know that life on Earth is a "probationary state", so to speak. It is only a small fragment of my eternal existence. It is a test. A test to prove that I will follow my Savior, and obey my Heavenly Father. That is all this life is. But I know, that when I was born, I was no longer able to remember my pre-mortal existence. I was no longer able to remember the choices and promises I made before I came here!

I have been so incredibly blessed to have parents who also know of these truths, and have raised me to know my loving Father in Heaven, and my Savior. I have been taught to communicate with God through prayer, and receive answers, and guidance from Him through reading the words of his servants, the Prophets, in the Bible and The Book of Mormon.

I know that God and Jesus lives! I know that we still receive instruction from Them through our current prophet, Thomas S. Monson!

How wonderful these truths are! How they make up the very fiber of my being! How the knowledge of these things get me through even the most challenging circumstances. I know I will live again! I know I have been sealed to my sweet husband, not "'till death do you part", but for time and All of Eternity!

These truths, are the reason I am the way I am. The reason I am happy. The reason I go through the craziest situations and keep on going!  The reason I make choices differently then the rest of the world! The reason, I dress modestly. The reason I have never smoked or drank alcohol. The reason I want 6 children! The reason I go to church each Sunday for 3 hours! The reason I do not take God's name in vain. The reason I try to study The Book of Mormon, daily. The reason prayer is an essential part of my life! The reason I got married in a Temple, even though close family and friends could not be there. The reason I don't  watch rated "R" movies. The reason I do not drink caffeine. The reason I didn't have sex before I was married. The reason I continue to try my best to keep the commandments God has given to us!

Am I perfect? No way!

Am I trying? Yes! So hard! I want to please my Heavenly Father more than anyone else! Because it only really matter what He thinks of me! And He knows my heart and my desires. That brings me comfort. He knows my potential, and I want to achieve that!

More than all of this, I want YOU to know that I know Jesus Christ truly does live. I know that we will live again! I know that we can receive divine guidance through out our lives! I know that our families can continue to be our families throughout Eternity!

I tell you these things, in the name of my Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.

3 comments:

stephanie beals said...

Alicia, thank you so much for sharing. In reading this, I realize, I dont share my thoughts and feelings on this subject nearly as often as I should either. We are so blessed to have the gospel in our lives, and should do whatever we can to help others realize the truth.
Even though you may not talk about why you are, the way that you are...your actions speak for you..and i promise people notice that.
Thank you for sharing your testimony with all of us.

Nai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carli said...

Great testimony! thank you for sharing that on your blog! I need to do more of that. In fact, I have been thinking a lot about the gospel lately. I think I will blog about it too! : )