Thursday, January 8, 2009

Let's ring in the new year with...

Mastitis! No kidding. Never had it full-blown before and I'll tell you what - IT SUCKS. On every level. If you are interested in learning more about it, I recommend searching it on WebMD. It started with soreness, which I've had before when I haven't nursed for longer than normal, usually it went away after a shower or a good-nursing. This time it went from soreness, to more soreness to chills, extreme fatigue and then a high fever. Of course, this all happened later in the evening when I wasn't about to go see a doctor (though I should have), and waited until the next morning because all my research said I needed antibiotics. So I went through TWO HOURS at the Drs office just to get prescribed antibiotics for something I knew I had (and was getting worse). The doc prescribed antibiotics and some painkiller, which I took and slept VERY with. This morning I was feeling pretty loopy so I did more research on WebMD on the painkiller and found out it was a narcotic and was WAY more than I needed. Yes, its my bad for not double checking the DOCTOR. Seriously. The interesting thing is that I overheard the patient next door to me begin prescribed a narcotic as well... (THIN walls and I was waiting in that room for AN HOUR AND A HALF... I wasn't intentionally eaves-dropping.)  Quick fix maybe? Anyway, I'm not going to that Urgent Care again unless... well, I need urgent care. Blah.

Anyway, I was totally drugged this morning and I think Ka'imi was a little because I nursed him for a few minutes last night while Cam made him a bottle. We both slept until 11 ish. I've just waited for the painkiller to wear off, and when my 6th hour is up, I popped some good ol' Ibuprofen. I'm feeling a little better. Now I just need to get something nutritional into my system.

Anyway, to all my sweet nursing friends out there, PREVENT Mastitis as best you can! You DO NOT want it. If you do have any questions about it, I am no certified professional, but I will share what I have learned from my own experience. I would hate for you to have to go through this. Like I said, It SUCKS.

Happy New Year!

6 comments:

The Gonzales 'Ohana said...

So sorry to hear about your start to the new year! What a bummer! I had mastitis ONCE (not bad for nursing 5 babies!) but once was ENOUGH!!! Not fun at all! Take care and hope you feel all better soon!

Leighann and Jamie said...

I'm surprised Dr. didn't tell you not to nurse while on narcotic. I am Lactation Educator, and tell you to go with the ibuprofen and antibiotics and nurse, nurse, nurse, so this NEVER happens again. :)

Roxie said...

ohhhhhh been there TWICE...I try to avoid it will all costs...I feel your pain.

Carli said...

im sorry! i never had that and hope i never do!

Moss Family said...

OUCH! I'm so sorry to hear your news. That does SUCK! I had mastitis when Corbin was 4 weeks old....I would almost trade in labor pains for mastitis pain because atleast contractions come and go. Hope the RIGHT drugs kick in and work soon so you can get back to yourself again.

-Holly

Love your recent photo shoots by the way!

AnnaYoung said...

Such a cruel creul joke to play on mothers. I had it twice with clara before she was 3 months old. Needless to say I would NOT have surrived with TYler working such crazy hours if my mom hadn't riven out to AZ twice. : )

I'm glad you're on the upswing! And yes, now you know what it is, and now you know to PREVENT!! : )