Thursday, May 29, 2008

"If Life Were Easy, it Wouldn't Be Hard: and Other Reassuring Truths"

This morning, I finished Elizabeth Peter's "Crocodile on the Sandbanks" (I liked it a lot. Great writing style and fun adventure story. 5 Stars from me!). I challenged myself to read a classic. So I was looking through my mother's "library" and nothing really sparked my interest.  I decided that it didn't have to be a classic, so as I expanded my options, I came into my mother's religious section. While reading the titles, I was reminded of a book my grandmother got me for my birthday (or Christmas?) that I had brought with me when we moved here! "If Life Were Easy, it Wouldn't be Hard" by Sheri Dew. I started it once before, but never got through it. I felt very impressed that now is the right time to read this book. With all that is going on in our lives right now, life can hardly be considered easy, even though I desperately wish things would just ease up for a bit. So this book is quite appropriate! I read the first chapter (there are 7) and I am so glad I picked this book! It really helped me regain perspective and realize my priorities! I truly agree that challenges help us grow in ways that nothing else can! I am grateful that Heavenly Father trusts me and has enough faith in me that I can handle the trials and situations that I am dealt.

Anyone have reading recommendations? Classics? Religious? Fiction? Fantasy? I can't imagine it will take me long to get through this book :)

3 comments:

Carli said...

maybe I need to read that book. I so feel you on wishing things would let up. Lately I feel as if we have been dealt blow after blow! Anyway, have you read the kite runner? Great book. I recommend it!

Leilani said...

Wuthering Heights; Sense & Sensibility; Pride & Prejudice; Crime & Punishment... All Classics. I have been wanting to start reading all of these as well.

The Knighton Fam said...

"The Phantom Tollbooth" is my all time favorite book. Other awesome reads are "The 5 People You Meet in Heaven", "Gap Creek", and "Frankenstein". I've also heard "The Secret Life of Bees" is really good - it's on my list of books to read next.