Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Indepedence Day

I am proud to be an American.

And these pregnancy hormones are ridiculous. Anything slightly emotional makes me cry.

We had a wonderful start to our Independence Day. Last night, 3 of my sibling (ages 15, 17 and 21) and my 17 year old bro-in-law were adventurous and brave and stayed the night on University Ave in Provo to save spots for the incredible Freedom Festival Grand Parade this morning. Apparently the before party happens all night long on University Ave the night before the parade. Thank you, you guys!

We woke up early with the munchkins, got breakfast and enjoyed the parade and hot air balloons.
I was emotional seeing the look of pure joy on Makoa's face when "Spiderman" waved/did his spiderman thing directly at/to him because Makoa was waving to him.  Again, I was emotional when we all stood as our country's flag passed by. It's not perfect, but it is mine. I am so grateful for the men and women who have risked and sacrificed their lives to make our country what it is. And again, I was emotional when Stephanie Nielson and her beautiful children passed by. It was very inspirational to see her "in real life". She is incredible.

Needless to say we thoroughly enjoyed the parade. My siblings are already anticipating doing it again next year, only they will be more prepared to make the night more fun... Anyone want to join up with them?

Now chicken for the skewers are marinating for grilling later, the adventurers are napping and I'm taking a moment to take a deep breath and feel grateful for my country, my health, my family and my health (did I mention that already?).

We found out yesterday that baby #4 is another boy. I would be lying if I said I wasn't relieved. I was OK with the idea of having a daughter, but something about have 4 boys so close in age just jives with me. Plus Ikaika will only be 18 months older, and I expect they will be buddies like Makoa and Ka'imi are (they are 16 months apart). I love my boys and I like the idea of retaining my "woman of the house" title. =)

Utah is currently battling 10 (yes TEN) wildfires, one of which is on the Alpine Mountain (I don't think that is actually it's name), and yesterday it looked like an erupting volcano.  Today it looks a little less ominous, but my thoughts and prayers are still with all those who are effected and the firefighters who are working so hard to contain the fires all over.

Oh, America, Land that I love. Thank you Founding Fathers, for being righteous and for listening to the divine inspiration that guided the establishment of this great country.



No comments: